Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Edge 4th bat rescue

Edge    July 6, 2010
Yesterday on July 5, 2010 about 2:00 in the afternoon, I got a phone call saying that someone found a bat that needed out of their house. The bat was at my Uncle’s house. The bat was in his bed room above the closet door, on the ledge of the door fame. When we got there and saw him he was sitting so cute on the ledge of the door fame just minding his own business. Then I got on the bed after Mom got a picture. My Uncle was videoing me getting the bat and my Mom was taking pictures. I went to grab the bat but he yelled at me and scared me for a second. Then I went back to grab him for the second time and he wouldn’t let go of the ledge. While I was grabbing him he bit my hand, it hurt like the dickens. But it was just a leave me alone bite on a protective bite which would have been worse. I couldn’t tell at the time if he broke skin or not because I was still holding him. When I grabbed him I was not wearing gloves because we didn’t have any that would work at the time. So when I got him in the container I brought for him, I looked at my hand to see how bad it might have been. It wasn’t that bad; at first you couldn’t tell if he even broke skin. I looked closer and then you could tell he did actually break skin. 

For a while we stayed at my Uncle’s house laughing, taking picture and videoing him. He wouldn’t stop chattering at all it got a little annoying after a while. We also talked to each other a little bit. When we finally decided we were leaving I saw Cream, one of my Uncles cats, in the hallway so I put the bat on the floor so he could check it out. It was funny he couldn’t figure out what was up because he usually jumps and smacks them while they are flying around. After about 2 minutes of watching him we went and showed Lucy and Bea who lives downstairs and they both liked seeing that he was leaving the house.

Then we were walking out and the bat was really quiet, I pointed that out to my Aunt because she is like will he ever be quiet? As soon at we got in the truck, he started to chatter again. I recorded him. When we got home I showed my Dad and two sisters then called my mentor and told him about rescuing the bat, being bit, and a few other things. I then hung him up on a hook hanging from the ceiling down stairs. We went and got mealworms for him because it was raining out and we were not going to let him free if it was raining. We tried to feed him a few but he was more on the lets walked around and not see the food. After a while I went back to writing and Mom went and worked on sewing a dress. When the sewing machine was going Edge (the name of the bat),was quiet but as soon as she took her foot off the pedal to make the sewing stop he would chatter again. It was funny.

I left for a while with my Aunt and Uncle and went out to eat during bible study time for doing a mini sermon at church on Sunday one time. When we got back my family and I left and went to Fort McCoy and went to the area where they had bat houses to set Edge free. Before we let him go we looked inside the other bat houses and saw that almost all of them were being used. There were two that had a group of babies in them too. I thought that was cute. Also in two of the bat houses that didn’t have bats in them they had a nest. We don’t know why or where it came from. After looking at in the bat houses we went back to the truck and opened the container that Edge was in to set him free. He flew away and is now flying around somewhere around Fort McCoy now I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment