Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Brick 7th bat rescue

Brick was hanging in the corner outside my school, by the main entrance. One of my friends saw him and told me. I got really excited and had her show me where he was. It was at the end of the day at the time so I just saw him and then had to leave. The next day he was still there. I kept bringing friends downstairs with me to go see
Brick. I couldn’t reach Brick but I enjoyed looking at him.
            Brick was at High Point for four days. I kept going outside to see him. One day, I wanted to go see him but I kept getting told, “No you have to wait” by one of my friends. It was raining that day, but at break time two of my friends and I went downstairs to see him. After a couple minutes we started pushing each other out in the rain. One of my friends was standing behind me and I told my other friend quietly what I was going to do, Then I pulled my friend behind me into the rain with me, two or three times. It was a lot of fun.
            The next couple days Brick was still there, I was getting worried. I called my mentor and he told me to leave Brick there and on Saturday if he is still hanging there then grab him. This was on a Thursday. At school Friday Brick was still at High Point in the same spot. I didn’t go and look at him as much as before, but every once in a while I did go see him.
            While I was working, one of my friends came back from class and told me that some kids threw a rock at Brick and knocked him down. That made me mad. I dropped what I had and went outside. Brick was laying on the ground right behind the door. If some one wasn’t careful opening the door Brick could have gotten hurt, maybe even worse. I went and got Steve and had him help me get gloves and a box to put him in. I carefully grabbed Brick and put him in the box. Then I showed him to a few people while I waited for mom to come pick him up.
            On September 23, that night we just let him chill for a while. We wanted to make sure he wasn’t freaking out. So we just let him relax. It was raining still so we couldn’t release him that night. We had a foster kid over and she enjoyed seeing the bat. She will not stop talking about bats or about Brick. She had a lot of fun learning more about them and actually being able to see one.

              At about noon on September 24 we tried to feed him. I was holding him while Mom was trying to feed Brick a meal worm. Brick went to go after the meal worm when it fell and actually flew out of my hands and mom blocked him from flying too far. I had my gloves on and Mom didn’t. When Brick flew he bit mom. We got Brick back in the cage and then went to the emergence room. Mom got talked to about what was needed because she got bit. And then we got sent home because they didn’t have the stuff with them yet. At about 2 pm we went back and mom got 3 of the shots. A part of one shot was put at the tip of her finger where she got bit and then some of the same shot got put on both sides of her finger by the knuckle. The rest of the shot got put in her thigh. The other two shots she got were in her shoulders, one on each side. She got 5 shots total and 4 of them were rabies shots.
            That night was homecoming and we got told by my mentor to just let him relax and watch him for a few days. So we did that. On September 26th or 27th we released him. We went to Fort McCoy by the bat houses and about 5 or 10 minutes went by and he flew out of the cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment