Tuesday, April 5, 2011

CeeCee 9th bat rescue

On December 21, 2010 I had a meeting with my advisor. He asked me if I have seen any bats recently. I told no and we finished our meeting. The next day after school I started wrapping Christmas presents. We were also figuring out if we were going to go caroling with our church. We decided not too.

Shortly after we decided not to go I went back to wrapping gifts. As soon as I finished wrapping gifts I got a phone call from my Uncle. He told me that there was a bat flying around the chapel and he was watching it. When we got to the church the bat was in the window. We went to grab him but he decided to fly. We started following him but then decided to stay up front and wait for him to land. We thought he would land on Mom or I so we both got ready to grab him when he did land.

He flew under the tree they had. He didn’t see any gifts for him so he flew around some more. He landed on the floor on a cord. I was told that bats can’t get up off the ground. I found out they can. I went to grab him but he did a little jump thing and started flying again. He flew around so much he was getting tired. You could tell, he kept flying lower and lower the more he flew. After about 3 or 4 minutes we heard a thud. The bat flew into a window and fell. That was when I grabbed him. He tried to get away by crawling up my arm, it didn’t work. We left the chapel and got to tell some kids about bats and answered some questions they had. When we were done we brought the bat home.

We just let him relax for the night. While everyone ate dinner downstairs I was silly and ate upstairs with CeeCee the bat. We named him CeeCee because the church was the Congregational U.C.C. Church.When I finished eating I told CeeCee that he was going to Sun Prairie and will meet Ken and Barb and he ws going to make new bat friends and maybe meet some old ones too.

The next day at about 11 we went to Sun Prairie. when we got to my mentor's house we talked while my mentor looked at CeeCee,and I looked at my Christmas gift. After a short time I got shown how to hold a bat in a way the bat wont be as scared and will be able to eat.

We tried to give him some water but he wouldn't take it. While I was holding him I fed him. He ate about 20 or 25 meal worms. While i was feeding him he bit my finger trying to get the worm. After we were done feeding him, CeeCee just chilled in my hand and fell asleep while we were talking and I was petting him.

The next thing we did was weighed him. After feeding him he weighed 16.2 grams. My mentor then showed me how they warm up bats. They put them under his shirt. And the way they identify them is by using fingernail polish and they paint the tip of the toes. CeeCee got his painted red. A few minutes later we left.

The next day I called and asked how CeeCee was. I found out that he drank alot of water. I am happy he is doing good. I plan to call my mentor later and ask how CeeCee is doing and see if he can still come to bring bats for my senior pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment